1. Sweet Potatoes: Loaded with vitamins A, B, C, & E this super food does everything from boosting immunity, controlling blood sugar, lowering stress, fighting cancer, and promoting sleep to name just a few!
2. Quinoa: A terrific option because it is one of the very few carbohydrates that contains all the essential amino acids that are necessary to produce a complete protein.
3. Steel Cut Oatmeal: Steel Cut Oats contain more protein, they are far less processed, and in my opinion the texture makes it the best tasting oats of the oat family. Instead of sweetening it with brown sugar or honey try using fresh berries, greek yogurt, and peanut or almond butter.
4. Rice: I prefer brown, wild, and forbidden over white rice because of their higher levels of protein, vitamins, and minerals. They are also digested at a slower rate (low glycemic index score) giving you more sustained energy.
5. Lentils: Low on the Glycemic index and high in protein and fiber.
6. Squash: Similar to the sweet potato the squash is most known for being an antioxidant powerhouse.
7. Bananas: Easy and accessible snack that works really well for pre and post Great for pre-workout because it digests quickly and gives some fast acting carbs to help fuel your workouts. Pair a banana with a protein shake post-workout and you have yourself an awesome muscle building/repairing combination.
8. Bulgar/Barley: Certainly not a very common food but can be a tasty and healthy changeup to add to your plate every once in awhile.
9. Pasta: Towards the bottom because pasta is a processed carbohydrate and there are better non-processed options such as 1-8. At 75-80 grams of carbs per cup it’s a great way to load up on carbs pre-workout or refuel post-workout.
10. Sprouted Breads: This is on the bottom of the list because even though it is a healthier and less processed option, I always prefer to stick to REAL food. Ezekiel bread is your best option for sprouted breads. While most breads contain added sugars and are extremely refined and processed, Ezekiel bread contain no added sugars and are much less processed.